Monday 30 April 2012

Did I aspire to become custom officer?

I don’t remember if ever in my childhood I was asked what I aspire to become in life and even if someone did, I am sure Custom Officer could never be there in my ‘to become’ list. Surprisingly that’s what I am today. So then how this really happened. I tried to figure it out one day..

The education system in which I studied, one’s interest had no relation with his/her career options or may be the system didn’t even give enough exposure to one to identify one’s interests. Performance in 10th standard used to guide choice of optional subjects in 11th class which in turn used to dictate availability of career options. As a rule, All toppers and so called ‘bright’ students used to opt Science (Bio or Math) and with due respect to this rule, I also did the same by opting for Science Math. Like all other Math students, I went to become an engineer with Electronics stream, the most popular stream at that time available only to the good rank holders.

I was able to keep this tag of topper and ‘bright’ student even during my college time irrespective  of whether I liked the subjects or not. This paid me in turns of getting placement in a very good company. Within few months of joining the company, I felt that I need to go one more step further to reach to a place where only ‘toppers among toppers’ reach and I could find only IAS as such field.  After 3 years of struggle, my name was there in civil service merit list with my rank making me entitled to join the prestigious Indian Revenue Services, Custom and Excise.

I don’t know how much right was my thought process. But I really feel that our education and social system makes sure that one’s career is guided by set rules like exam performances, popular sentiments etc. Students are never given any exposure to identify their career aspirations. Some are lucky to land at right place and others not. I consider myself among lucky ones!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Our education system never encourages creativity. our system is result based and not the approach based.family, marks, career take front seat and our interest, creativity and innovation take the back seat. here luck wins over hardwork.
    but in this situation also people can make a difference if they understand the difference b/w failure and fallure.

    ReplyDelete